Early Patrol Submarine
12th January 2018
Designed by Vickers as opposed to H.M. Dockyard Chatham the internal arrangements were similar to the prototype Oberon's. There was improvements in the hull form resulting in a slightly higher speed.
Both boats left Vickers on 8th February 1928 and reached Malta eleven days later. They remained in Malta until 15th November 1928 as they required engine columns to be strengthened. During this reconstruction both boats were reduced to RESERVE status.
Both Oxley and Otway were placed into reserve in Australia in May 1930. In April 1931 the boats recomissioned into the Royal Navy at Sydney as a free gift from the Australians.
They were laid down as AO.1 and AO.2 but at the launch the former was named Oxley and the latter Otway.
1,350 electric motor.
1 x 4 inch gun. 2x machine gun.