The above six boats of the second group of 'L' class were selected to be completed as minelayers. These were ordered in 1916, they wre finished too late to be used in WWI. L24 to L27 were only launched after WWI. L26 and L27 were transferred unfinished from Vickers to to HM Dockyards for completion.
Because the idea of laying mines from vertical chutes was dropped shortly after WWI these boats were never employed in laying mines. Although the mine tubes were never used it is highly unlikely that they were removed.
As with the 'E Class' minelayers the mine tubes were arranged in the saddle tanks.
L24, L25: 911 sf 1068 sm
4 x electric motors
1 x 20 hp aux motor for slow running.
4 x 21 inch bow tubes.
8 Torpedoes carried.
L24/L25 completed without the 4 inch gun.
L14, L17, L26, L27: 16 mines.
L24, L25: 14 mines.
200 nm at 2 kts.